“My story is well-known, but someone will always return to listen.” .
A prophecy, the inescapable destiny of a king, and an act of self-blinding so infamous the mere utterance of the play’s name evokes the image. Here, we present to you an elemental re-telling of the dark myth, all resting on the shoulders of one fearless actress….
Twenty-five hundred years on, “Oedipus Rex” still serves as a near constant presence in popular culture, casting a shadow over all of modern drama and even influencing the language of prominent psychoanalytic concepts. But in continuing to mine the play for modern relevance, how can we escape the more cliched aspects of staging such a ubiquitous work?
GET YOUR TICKETS: First: Select a date…
An ambitious Peruvian director, Walter Ventosilla, set about stripping the story down to its rawest form, condensing the play to eight characters, and re-envisioning the piece as a one-woman show.
Emely Grisanty, a rare talent, steps up to deliver a demanding, unhinged performance, bringing audiences to their feet in New York, Miami, and Peru. With an austere stage aesthetic, the light shines brightly on the compelling physicality and emotional transformations of our young actress as she seamlessly inhabits seven dynamic subjects and one tortured king.
Intimate, alternately explosive and mesmerizing, the play brings us closer to the true nature of Oedipus, in all of his flawed, tragic, sympathetic glory. The story is well-known, but for this intense performance, it’s time we returned to listen….
- ATI Awards 2015 – Emely Grisanty Best Actress in a Solo Performance
- ATI Awards 2015 – Walter Ventosilla Best Direction in a Solo Performance
- ACE Awards 2015 – Walter Ventosilla Best Direction in a Solo Performance
- ACE Awards 2015 – Emely Grisanty Best Actress in a Solo Performance
- HOLA Awards 2014 – Emely Grisanty Outstanding Female Solo Performance
- HOLA Awards 2014 – Walter Ventosilla Outstanding Achievement in Direction